Friday, December 2, 2016

The Busines of Living and Rest


It’s that time of year. My list is lengthy, and there are piles on my kitchen countertops. Let me see, there’s the cookie recipe stack, the gift wrappings, the ingredients for Chex Mix, empty prescription bottles that need to be called in for re-fills, bills waiting to be paid. While I consider all this, the washer spins downstairs and the dryer clunk-clunks several pair of heavy jeans. The turkey broth (from Thanksgiving bird) sits on the frosty deck table waiting to be made into soup.
I look at the clock: 7:30 a.m. With granola and a cup of coffee already inside me, I consider my day. Do I really have to do all this? Jesus tells us, “Come to me, and I will give you rest.” What I’m thinking is -- I want all this stuff done, and, then, I’ll rest. But, if you’re like me, once the jobs are checked off on your list and a new day begins, there’s a new list with more things to be done.
The busy-ness will never stop. It’s a part of life. If you’ve ever been bored, you know that busy-ness ain’t all that bad. Perhaps the rest Christ speaks of is that we know that whatever happens, whatever gets done or doesn’t get done, we are secure in Christ’s love for us.

If you don’t have that perfect Christmas cookie tray, your kids may be disappointed, but they will still love you. If you didn’t have time to wrap your gifts to others, the scene beneath your tree won’t be as colorful, but the gift was given with love. If you burn the Christmas ham, if you slip and fall on the ice and others have to wait on you this season, there is still love. No matter what.

So, amidst your busy-ness, find time to rest. It’s okay. God wants you to.

No comments:

Post a Comment