Saturday, August 1, 2015

An Imperfect Backyard (An Imperfect World)

Click for Options From my writing desk, I look through the rain-splattered windows. I don't like what I see. Purplish carpet is covered with the left-overs of a robin bird's nest from the above deck. The plant in front of the iron gate is only one-half there. I pulled out the dead part a day or so ago. Thistles are scattered across the rocky landscape. A metal trailer obscures the neighbor's attractively landscaped corner.

Is this supposed to be my creative spot?... Is it the cluttered landscape that is causing minor depression or is it my attitude? Thinking this is a glass one-half-empty versus glass-one-half full issue, I take a second look.

The geraniums are a vivid red against the primitive, garden gate. What is left of the one-half plant is thriving and lush. The trees beyond sway with the breezes as birds above flit and flutter. Cloud strands complete the picture as the hanging chimes plink, bing, bong....

I guess it's up to me to "see" the positive aspects of my backyard. It's not perfect, but there certainly is a lot of wonder out there. Neither is our world a perfect place, but, in the same way, it is up to me to "see" the positive aspects of it. There is a lot of wonder out there--nature's beauty everywhere, a small miracle down the street, a surprise in the morning, contentedness at the end of the day.

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment