Monday, August 10, 2015

Reunion Thoughts

Click for OptionsI don't consider myself old; however, my husband and I attended his 50th class reunion, and there were some old people there. Some had canes; many had health issues; many left before the dance started. Hmmm....

I do receive social security, Medicare Benefits, and am a grandma. So, if I am not old now, I'm headed in the direction with no U-turns, detours or STOP signs ahead.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer in his "Letters and Papers from Prison," 1953, wrote "Time is the most precious gift in our possession.... Time lost is when we have not lived a full human life, time unenriched by experience, creative endeavor, enjoyment, and suffering. Time lost is time we have not filled...."

Through my conversations at the reunion, I discovered that many were determined to "live a full human life" in spite of health concerns and additional birthdays. One couple was starting a new chapter of their lives by helping baby boomers discover their ENCORE. Another wanted to write a book. Vacation destinations were numerous. Volunteer projects were high on the scale. I also witnessed a feeling of connective-ness. It didn't matter of if you were a cheerleader, the football captain, in the band, or someone who simply struggled to get through--or were one of those who felt like you never fit in. Everyone seemed very accepting.

Along with getting older, we have spiritual gifts that mature with time... if we allow it.

If there is a 55th reunion, we will be there.
God is good in all things.


No comments:

Post a Comment