Wednesday, August 26, 2015

God Does Not Need Email....


I grew up in a house where the phone was attached to the kitchen wall right above the steps leading to the basement. We were on a line that we shared with several neighbors. Each ring was slightly different, and we knew who was getting the call by the sound of the ring. On a particularly boring summer day, if mother was out doing chores, I might pick up the phone to listen to our neighbor's news.

When we made a call, we dialed the number or dialed 0 for operator assistance. A real person answered and gave us the help we needed.

When I could not talk to someone on the phone because it was long-distance and expensive, I would get out stationary (does anyone know what this is anymore?), a pen, and write a letter starting with "Dear ______."

Text messages, emails, voicemail make all this sound very primitive. Emails and texts fly through the air in a second or two. All this quickness makes a huge difference in how the world works--in both our work and personal relationships world, with some good results and some not-so-good.

God does not need email, nor does he text. He has no need for my I-phone, I-pad, or computer.
He's just there, right there, inside my head, inside my heart and soul, all around me.
Before the words and sighs leave my fingertips or my lips, He knows....

Before they call, I will answer;
while they are still speaking,
I will hear.
Isaiah 65:24

No comments:

Post a Comment